Tripmate travel insurance reviews, quotes, coverages, planes, pros and cons, Real Customers Trip Mate travel insurance negative reviews, and more.
Fast Tripmate travel insurance reviews
Trip Mate is a travel insurance provider in the U.S. that has been operating since 1961. Generali Global Assistance acquired it in 2019. It offers travel insurance plans covering medical expenses, trip cancellation, interruption, or delay, lost or delayed baggage, and other losses while traveling.
Trip Mate offers three types of travel protection plans: Basic Plan, Deluxe Plan, and Deluxe+ Plan. Each plan has different benefits, limits, and provisions depending on your travel arrangements and needs. Based on TripMate travel insurance reviews, some people praise their quick and easy claims process. While others complain about their poor customer service, long delays, and low payouts. The average rating of TripMate travel insurance on ConsumerAffairs is 1.5 stars out of 5 based on 616 reviews. The average rating of Trip Mate on Trustpilot is 2.4 stars out of 5 based on 38 reviews.
Trip Mate Coverages
Trip Mate coverages vary depending on the plan you choose, but some of the common coverages include:
- Cancellation of Trip: TripMate travel insurance Reimburses you for the prepaid, non-refundable costs if you have to cancel your tour for a covered reason.
- Interruption of Trip: TripMate travel insurance Reimburses you for the unused, non-refundable costs and the additional transportation costs to return home or rejoin your tour if you have to interrupt for a covered reason.
- Delay of Trip: Reimburses you for reasonable additional expenses incurred when your tour is delayed for more than 6 hours due to a covered reason.
- Missed Connection: TripMate travel insurance Reimburses you for the additional transportation costs to join your tour if you miss your connection due to a delay of 3 hours or more.
- Baggage and Personal Effects: TripMate travel insurance Reimburses you for the loss, theft, or damage of your baggage and personal effects during your tour .
- Baggage Delay: TripMate travel insurance Reimburses you for the purchase of essential items if your baggage is delayed for more than 24 hours.
- Emergency Medical Expense: TripMate travel insurance Pays for medical expenses incurred during your tour if you suffer an injury or illness while traveling.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation: TripMate travel insurance Pays for emergency medical transportation to the nearest adequate medical facility or your home if medically necessary.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: TripMate travel insurance Pays a lump sum benefit if you suffer a loss of life or limb within 180 days of an accident during your tour .
Trip Mate offers three types of travel protection plans: Basic Plan, Deluxe Plan, and Deluxe+ Plan. Each plan has different benefits, limits, and provisions depending on your travel arrangements and needs.
TripMate Basic Plan
The Trip Mate Basic Plan is the most affordable option among the three plans offered by TripMate. It provides basic coverage for trip cancellation, interruption, delay, missed connection, baggage and personal effects, baggage delay, emergency medical expense, emergency medical evacuation, and accidental death and dismemberment.
However, the Trip Mate Basic Plan has some limitations and exclusions that you should be aware of. For example, it does not cover pre-existing medical conditions, change fees, or travel supplier financial default. It also has lower benefit limits than the Deluxe or Deluxe+ Plans.
The Trip Mate Basic Plan has mixed reviews from customers who have used it. Some people praise its low cost and easy purchase process. But others complain about its poor customer service, long processing time, and low payouts. The average rating of the Trip Mate Basic Plan on Trustpilot is 1.8 stars out of 5 based on 17 reviews.
TripMate Deluxe Plan
The Trip Mate Deluxe Plan is the mid-range option among the three plans offered by TripMate. It provides the same coverage as the Basic Plan, but with higher benefit limits and some additional benefits. For example, it covers pre-existing medical conditions if you purchase the plan within 15 days of your initial payment, change fees up to $250, and travel supplier financial default up to $10,000.
The Trip Mate Deluxe Plan is more expensive than the Basic Plan. But it may offer more peace of mind and protection for your trip. You can get a quick quote on the Trip Mate website to see how much it would cost to protect your tour with the Deluxe Plan.
The TripMate Deluxe Plan has similar reviews as the Basic Plan from customers who have used it. Some people appreciate its comprehensive coverage and hassle-free claims process. While others report issues with its customer service, processing time, and claim denials. The average rating of the Trip Mate Deluxe Plan on Trustpilot is 1.9 stars out of 5 based on 8 reviews.
TripMate travel insurance Deluxe+ Plan
The Trip Mate Deluxe+ Plan is the most comprehensive and expensive option among the three plans offered by Trip Mate. It provides the same coverage as the Deluxe Plan, but with higher benefit limits and some additional benefits. For example, it covers trip cancellation for any reason up to 75% of your cost, change fees up to $500, and travel supplier financial default up to $20,000.
The Trip Mate Deluxe+ Plan is the best choice for travelers who want the most flexibility and protection for their trip. You can get a quick quote on the Trip Mate website to see how much it would cost to protect your tour with the Deluxe+ Plan.
The Trip Mate Deluxe+ Plan has fewer reviews than the Basic or Deluxe Plans from customers who have used it. The reviews are mostly positive, with some people praising its generous coverage and easy claims process. However others mention some minor issues with its customer service and documentation requirements. The average rating of the TripMate Deluxe+ Plan on Trustpilot is 4.3 stars out of 5 based on 3 reviews.
Tripmate travel insurance quotes and cost
The price of the plans depends on your cost, destination, duration, and age. You can get a quick quote on the Trip Mate website to see how much it would cost to protect your tour. You may also want to compare different travel insurance providers to find the best deal for your needs.
The average cost of travel insurance is 5% to 6% of your costs. For Example, for a $5,000 tour, the average travel insurance cost would be around $250 to $300. However, this may vary depending on the provider, the plan, and the coverage you choose. But Trip Mate does not provide any information on their average cost, but you can get a quick quote on their website by entering your trip details and personal information.
Trip Mate travel insurance Pros and Cons
Trip Mate is a travel insurance provider that offers three plans: Basic, Deluxe, and Deluxe+. Here are some of the pros and cons of Trip Mate:
Pros and Cons Of Trip Mate: Pros
- Trip Mate travel insurance covers a wide range of travel risks, such as trip cancellation, interruption, delay, missed connection, baggage and personal effects, baggage delay, emergency medical expense, emergency medical evacuation, and accidental death and dismemberment1.
- TripMate was the first company to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion, which means you can get coverage for your medical condition if you purchase the plan within 15 days of your initial payment.
- It offers trip cancellation for any reason coverage with the Deluxe+ Plan, which gives you more flexibility and peace of mind if you need to cancel your tour for any reason up to 48 hours before departure.
- Trip Mate has an online claim reporting system that allows you to submit your claim and upload your documents easily and conveniently.
Pros and Cons Of Trip Mate: Cons
- Trip Mate has received many negative reviews from customers who have used their services. Some of the common complaints are poor customer service, long processing time, low payouts, and claim denials.
- TripMate has some limitations and exclusions that may affect your coverage. For example, it does not cover change fees or travel supplier financial default with the Basic Plan, and it only covers cancellation for any reason up to 75% of your cost with the Deluxe+ Plan.
- It is not available in all states or countries. You should check their website to see if they offer coverage in your area.
Trip Mate Travel Insurance Reviews
Positive TripMate Travel Insurance Reviews
- I purchased Trip Mate Travel Insurance with my Viking Cruise. 2 weeks prior to the cruise, my wife broke her shoulder. We had to cancel. I followed the instructions and mailed hard copies of all forms listed on their website to the given address. (You had to fill out forms online but then either email them or snail mail them).
- I have read many poor reviews related to this company and I have come to the conclusion that many are lacking credibility. This company is forthcoming in every aspect. If you submit a legitimate claim you will have no problem. My claim was resolved in less than a month. Shame on all of those who write bad reviews when the problem lies with themselves.
- I purchased an airline ticket with the insurance. When I want to cancel my tour due to my father’s passing away. I contacted Trip Mate travel insurance, they answered all my questions and I submitted all the information required. They were very helpful and I got my refund. I was not sure about buying insurance before, but now experienced the benefit I will recommend it. Thank you! Trip Mate.
- Due to a medical problem with my wife, we had to leave a Vantage tour. We filed with TripMate travel insurance, and within a month and 1/2, they paid even more than we claimed. This included airfare (to rejoin the tour), hotel room meals, and medical expenses. I neglected to file for reimbursement for the 2 days of the tour we missed, but they paid for that also. We were surprised and pleased.
- I read a bunch of negative reviews here and on other sites (after we filed our claim). So I was expecting the worst. In fact, everything went very smoothly. But I don’t know if this is because we bought it through GCTravel, which sends thousands of dollars in business to them, or not. The bottom line is that my wife and I had to cancel our tour because of an immediate family member (not one going on the trip) being admitted to the hospital 3 days before we were scheduled to leave on our tour to Europe.
Positive Trip Mate Travel Insurance Reviews Part 2
- Worth every penny. Filed claim forms online, and received the refund in less than 30 days. I see lots of bad reviews, but my experience was a good one. Just fill out the forms completely and submit them. It’s easy to monitor the progress of the claim online.
- My experience seems to be very different from all the other reviews I see on this site. My attorney drafted a letter and sent my collected documentation and within 30 days, my claim was paid. This was a canceled plane ticket from Michigan to Dallas due to a grave illness and the hospitalization of my mother. I was sure to provide my attorney with all the information requested for the illness and hospital stay. I take my rather infrequent travel plans very seriously and was very disappointed that I had to cancel at all. However, I was pleased that my claim was considered and reviewed so quickly.
- The Tripmate Claim Paid, but the fine details are tricky. My husband went to the Caribbean through Sandals Resort and for some reason they use Tripmate. Things have changed quite a bit with TripMate and depending on when you went, your claim number, etc, will depend on the company to whom your claim is submitted. As I mentioned, it is the fine details that you have to submit in order for your claim to be paid.
TripMate Travel Insurance Negative Reviews
- Our son traveled to South Korea and was taken to the hospital in an emergency. He was having seizures. Tripmate’s immediate medical facilitator is OnCall. OnCall’s primary interest at the outset was to find out who was the primary insurer. Tripmate’s wish hopefully not Tripmate, and to find out if they could deny responsibility for the medical emergency. Hoping it was a pre-existing condition that wasn’t covered under the insurance.
- Contacted Trip Mate travel insurance who denied our request for a refund even though The Greece border has been closed to tourists. I paid extra money for travel insurance last year just in case this happened. But now Trip Mate flat-out denied my request! How can they deny a request when the government shut down travel and they are a travel insurance company?
- Trip Mate also denied my claim for a cancellation due to COVID-19. I plan on contacting the state attorney general’s office and reporting them for fraudulent business practices. Their guidelines say that they will reimburse for quarantine. I wonder what they think this pandemic is all about??!!
- I got Trip Mate for free when booking my travel with Beaches Resort in Jamaica. We had a claim and began to process it, the amount of info and very personal information to file the claim was awful. We also purchased Allianz insurance because we have used it in the past and they are so much better and thorough. I would never purchase TripMate travel insurance. I am a bit surprised that they are allowed to ask for the info needed to file a claim.
- No Stars. Total Fraud in my view. Please don’t even consider buying it. I bought a Travel Protection Plan for a tour to Singapore that has a layover in Beijing, China. This was bought via CheapOair. Then, the Coronavirus struck. As of this writing some 3K people have died from it. Who would want to take this trip anymore plus flights from China to Singapore had been banned. Of course, I canceled the flight and then tried to submit a claim. NOPE. I told I had been quarantined for 2 weeks or actually contracted the virus for my claim to be entertained, if you can believe that.
Trip Mate Travel Insurance Negative Reviews Part 2
- I was supposed to take a tour of Russia. Russia is now at war with Ukraine. Trip Mate does not include war as a valid reason to cancel and get a refund. NB: Every review that I have read here has 1 star so not sure why the heading for Trip Mate shows 4 stars.
- They will not return phone calls. Stranded in Chicago during non-business hours I called their after-hours number but had to leave my number for a call-back which never, ever came. Then I filed a claim. It was denied according to their “check status of claim” website, but I never even was notified by them of that. Don’t bother trying to call them even during business hours. They won’t answer and won’t return your call. I will never use them again and recommend you don’t.
- TripMate deserves zero stars. Customer service is absolutely inexistent, they will not refund your money. Coronavirus has exposed its shady scheme. I submitted a claim in March 2020 and it’s been 10 months without any response. They have to pay for this.
- My wife and I planned a tour to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand in November 2019 for 20 days. We paid everything and had Trip Mate Insurance for $1438. When the rioting started and concerns about flying into Hong Kong, Viking Ocean Cruises canceled all Hong Kong tours and the state department put a 2 alert on travel there.
- I have been requesting a paper check since February 2020 and calling TripMate customer service for 6 months and still no paper check. All I got were false promises and run around. Every time I called Trip Mate travel insurance, they would say I would receive the check after 7 days, but the check never came! Trip Mate is the worst company, plainly for-profit and with zero customer care. Start looking at their competitors if you need travel Insurance.
- My husband and I purchased very expensive trip insurance through OAT, which has Trip Mate travel insurance available for customers booking OAT trips. We both got sick and missed a lot of meals as well as a lot of day trips/adventures, some of which were very expensive (ex. a rain forest canopy tour that we both had to miss cost another traveler not with our group, but wanting to go with our group $300).
Trip Mate Travel Insurance Negative Reviews part 3
- I bought their Trip Insurance from CheapoAir for the MNL-SFO tour. The flight was canceled by the airline before the flight was scheduled to depart because of routing through China due to the virus scare. My ticket was canceled by the airline. NO FLIGHT WAS MADE. They refused to return the insurance money even though no flight was made. They said virus cancelation was “NOT COVERED”. What a scam!!!
- This company is a big scam, I bought the insurance through CheapOair and it was a ticket for almost 2400 dollars so I bought the insurance. Then I had back pain and went to my doctor a few days before my flight so I had to cancel, and both CheapOair and Trip Mate did not refund me anything. Beware these two scammers.
- They will not pay you no matter how reasonable your claim is. If you miss your flight due to an illness it’s almost impossible for you to get your payment. They will ask for 1000 + 1 documents from you and find a way to denied your claim.
- If there were zero stars that’s what I would rate that. We are in the midst of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. We obviously booked our tour not knowing this would be an issue. We had to cancel since we were not able to meet the quarantine requirements and TripMate travel insurance is not issuing any refund. Horrible customer service and STEALING money.
- I claimed for a cancelled trip and supplied their requested documents. Since then dead silence. Is this a real company or another scam? They sent me an email after I had filed the claim, but never reply to email sent to that address.
Is TripMate travel insurance worth it?
Whether TripMate travel insurance is worth it or not depends on several factors, such as the cost of the trip, the level of coverage, the exclusions and limitations, and the personal preferences and risk tolerance of the traveler.
According to some customer TripMate travel insurance reviews, it may not be worth it for some travelers because:
- It may take a long time to process and pay claims, sometimes up to several months.
- TripMate does not cover all the reasons for trip cancellation or interruption, especially those related to COVID-19 or other pandemics.
- It may not pay the full amount of the trip cost or the actual expenses incurred, but only a percentage or a maximum limit.
- It may have poor customer service and communication and may require multiple documents and proofs to validate claims.
However, these TripMate insurance reviews are based on individual experiences and may not reflect the overall performance and satisfaction of TripMate travel insurance. Some travelers may have positive experiences with it and find TripMate travel insurance worth it for their needs. Therefore, before purchasing TripMate travel insurance, it is advisable to:
- Compare different plans and prices offered by TripMate and other travel insurance providers.
- Read the policy details carefully and understand what is covered and what is not covered, as well as the exclusions and limitations.
- Check the ratings and reviews of TripMate and other travel insurance providers from reputable sources.
- Contact TripMate or other travel insurance providers directly if you have any questions or concerns about their products and services.