A car insurance policy is a contract between you and an insurance company. You agree to pay the cost of the policy, called the premium. Also, you obey the company’s stated rules. In return, the company agrees to pay for certain expenses associated with an accident or other covered losses. Also to compare car insurance quotes and coverages, you need to be familiar with terms and recommended coverages for 2024.
An auto insurance policy consists of different coverages. Companies offer many types of coverage. But only four of them are mandatory. Bodily Injury to Others, Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Bodily Injury Caused by an Uninsured Car and Damage to Others’ Property. So It is sufficient if you have a policy to cover those cases. Consumers commonly purchase Optional coverages such as Comprehensive and Collision but these are not mandatory. So which coverages are best for you? What is the best way to get cheap car insurance?
Car Insurance definition in 1 minute
Automobile insurance is a way to protect yourself and your vehicle in case of an accident. An auto insurance policy is a contract between you and a company. Therefore you agree to pay the cost of the policy, called a premium. And to obey the company’s stated rules. As a result, the company agrees to pay for certain damages according to your coverage. For instance, damages associated with an accident or other covered losses.
Car insurance is a type of insurance that provides financial protection for cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other motor vehicles. The main objective is to offer coverage against physical or bodily damages caused by traffic accidents. Auto insurance policies also provide protection against theft and damage due to different types of disasters. The terms and conditions of car insurance policies vary according to the legal regulations in each region. For instance, click to view Car Insurance Terms and Coverages in California.
Is car insurance required?
In many countries, You must have car insurance Coverage to drive your vehicle on the roads. Generally, it covers both the car and the driver, but the degree of each varies greatly. This means, that if you have an accident causing damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal, or property, your auto insurance covers you. It does not cover any other costs like repair to your vehicle. In most countries, third-party insurance has a legal minimum, named minimum coverage limits. How do car insurance companies work?
There are eight basic auto insurance coverages. You can choose whether to buy the others.
- Liability coverage pays to repair the other driver’s car if you caused the accident. It also pays the other driver’s and his or her passenger’s medical bills and some other expenses. Texas law requires you to have at least $30,000 of coverage for injuries per person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for property damage. This is called 30/60/25 coverage.
- Medical payment coverage pays your and your passengers’ medical bills. It also pays if you’re hurt while riding in someone else’s car or while walking or biking.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage is similar to medical payment coverage. It pays your and your passengers’ medical bills. But it also pays for things like lost wages and other nonmedical costs. All auto policies in Texas include PIP coverage. If you don’t want it, you must tell the company in writing.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays if you’re hit by someone who didn’t have insurance or didn’t have enough to pay your medical and car repair bills. It also pays if you’re in a hit-and-run accident. Companies must offer you this coverage, But if you don’t want it, you must tell the company in writing.
- Collision coverage pays to repair or replace your car after an accident.
- Comprehensive (other than collision) comprehensive car insurance coverage pays if your car is stolen or damaged by fire, flood, vandalism, or something other than a collision.
- Towing and labor coverage pay to tow your car if you can’t drive it. It also pays for labor to change a flat tire or jump-start your battery.
- Rental reimbursement coverage pays for you to rent a car if yours is stolen or repaired after an accident. Some policies also pay for taxis or ride-hailing services. See Cheapest Rental Car Insurance Companies in USA
Car Insurance Coverage Minimum Limits
Every coverage has a limit, meaning the company will not pay more than this amount for a claim. For compulsory car insurance, each of the required coverages has certain minimum limits. So you cannot take less than those limits. However below are the Minimum Required Limits for different coverages in the USA:
Minimum Bodily Injury( BI) Liability Limits in USA:
- $15,000 for the death or injury of any one person. If one person is injured in the accident, your coverage pays up to $15,000.
- A total of $30,000 for the death or injury of more than one person in any one accident. If 2 or more people are injured, the coverage pays up to $30,000. The coverage will not pay more. The injured people share the money.
- This coverage applies to injuries that you cause to someone else.
Minimum Property Damage (PD) Liability Limits in USA:
- $5,000 for damage to the property of other people.
- $100,000/$300,000 Bodily Injury
- $5,000 Medical Payments
- $30,000/$60,000 Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – Bodily Injury
- $250 Comprehensive Deductible
- $500 Collision Deductible
- Waiver on Collision Deductible