All about Lemonade car insurance reviews, quotes, prices, discounts, coverages, pros and cons.
Lemonade car insurance is a relatively new product from Lemonade, Inc. It is an American company that uses artificial intelligence and chatbots to process claims. Lemonade car insurance was launched in November 2021 in Illinois and we expect to roll out nationwide in 2024.
Lemonade, Inc. was founded in 2015 by Daniel Schreiber and Shai Wininger with the goal of creating a more transparent and customer-friendly insurance experience. Initially, the company offered renters’ and homeowners’ insurance, but it later expanded to include pet insurance and term life insurance. Additionally, Lemonade has earned B-Corporation certification, which demonstrates its commitment to meeting high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
Lemonade car insurance reviews in 1 minute
Lemonade car insurance rewards low-mileage and safe drivers with lower premiums, as well as offer special perks for drivers of electric vehicles and hybrids. The product also includes emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance for free, if the policy has comprehensive and collision coverage. You can bundle Lemonade car insurance with other types of policies sold by them, such as home, renters, life, or Lemonade pet insurance, to get a discount.
Lemonade car insurance is mainly sold online through its website or mobile app, which requires users to download the app and allow their location to be tracked. The app uses location-based technology to price the policy based on how much the user drives and their driving behavior. The app also enables users to manage their policies, get help from Lemonade, or file a claim.
Lemonade car insurance is currently available only in five states: Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas. It does not offer rideshare insurance for Uber, Lyft, or other drivers who use their cars for business or commercial purposes. It also does not offer an SR-22 policy for drivers who need to prove they have minimum liability coverage after a serious violation.
Lemonade auto insurance reviews of others
- Forbes Advisor gives Lemonade car insurance a rating of 3.75 out of 5 stars. It highlights the benefits of free emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance, discounts for low-mileage drivers and eco-friendly cars, and bundling options with other types of insurance. However, it also points out the drawbacks. For instance, limited availability, app dependency, location tracking, and lack of rideshare and SR-22 insurance.
- Business Insider also gives Lemonade car insurance a rating of 3.75 out of 5 stars. They praise the easy-to-use app and the smooth shopping and claims experience. It also mentions the B-corporation certification and the Giveback program as positive features. However, it also warns about the potential privacy issues of sharing data, the limited availability, and the lack of financial stability and customer satisfaction ratings.
- Credit Karma gives Lemonade car insurance a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. They emphasize the low premiums based on driving habits, the free emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance, and the discounts for electric and hybrid vehicles. They also note the B-corporation certification and the Giveback program as appealing factors. However, it also cautions about the limited availability, the app dependency, the location tracking, and the lack of rideshare and SR-22 policy.
- Policygenius gives Lemonade car insurance a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars. It highlights the low premiums based on driving habits, the free emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance, and the discounts for electric and hybrid vehicles. It also mentions the B-corporation certification and the Giveback program as attractive features. However, it also criticizes the limited availability, the app dependency, the location tracking, and the lack of financial stability and customer satisfaction ratings.
Quotes and prices
If you are interested in getting a quote for Lemonade car insurance, you can do so online through their website or mobile app. You will need to download the app and allow the app to track your location. Lemonade uses location-based technology to price your policy. You will also need to answer some questions about yourself, your car, and your driving history. The app will then generate a personalized quote for you, which you can purchase on the spot.
You can also compare Lemonade quotes with other car insurance companies to find the best car insurance companies for your needs. You should make sure to include the same coverages and deductibles on each quote to get an accurate comparison. You should also consider factors such as customer service, financial stability, and claims experience when choosing a car insurance company.
The average price of Lemonade car insurance is not explicitly stated on their website. However, it can start as low as $30 per month, depending on your driving behavior and other factors. Also, a policy from Lemonade costs $66 per month on average. It is 54% less expensive than average. However, these prices may vary depending on your state, car, coverage, and driving record.
Lemonade’s full coverage policy costs an average of $2,014 per year, or $168 per month, nationwide. This rate is based on a sample profile of a 40-year-old male with a clean driving record and good credit. However, this rate may not reflect the actual cost of full coverage car insurance from Lemonade or other companies.
If you are looking for a lemonade car insurance discount, you may be eligible for some of the following options:
- Hybrid/EV discount: If you drive a hybrid or electric vehicle, you can get a special discount on your policy. As well as a reforestation program that plants trees to offset your carbon footprint.
- Bundle discount: If you already have or purchase another type of insurance from Lemonade, such as home insurance, renters, pet, or life insurance, you can bundle and save up to 10% on each of your premiums.
- Early bird discount: If you sign up for Lemonade car insurance before your coverage start date, you can get a discount for planning ahead.
- App discount: If you allow location services to run through the Lemonade app, which tracks your driving behavior and location, you can get a discount on your car insurance. This also helps Lemonade to offer personalized rates that reward safe and low-mileage drivers.
- To get a quote for Lemonade car insurance and see how much you can save with these discounts, you can visit their website or download their app and answer some questions about yourself, your car, and your driving history. The app will then generate a personalized quote for you, which you can purchase on the spot.
Lemonade car insurance pros and cons
Lemonade car insurance is a product that uses artificial intelligence and location-based technology to offer low rates based on your driving habits and mileage. It also offers perks for electric and hybrid vehicles, free emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance, and discounts for bundling with other types of insurance. However, Lemonade car insurance is only available in five states and requires you to download an app and share your location data. See the best car insurance for new drivers list.
Some of the pros and cons of Lemonade car insurance are:
Lemonade car insurance pros and cons: Pros
- Low premiums for safe and low-mileage drivers. Lemonade car insurance uses telematics, which tracks your driving behavior and location through your phone or devices in your car. This allows Lemonade to offer personalized rates that reward good driving habits and low mileage.
- Perks for eco-friendly cars. Lemonade car insurance offers special discounts for drivers of electric vehicles and hybrids. As well as a reforestation program that plants trees to offset your carbon footprint while driving.
- Free emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance. Lemonade policies with comprehensive and collision coverage include emergency crash assistance and roadside assistance for free. These services can help you in case of an accident or a breakdown, such as towing, battery jump-start, flat tire change, lockout service, and fuel delivery.
- Discounts for bundling with other types of policies. You can bundle Lemonade car insurance with other types of policies sold by Lemonade, such as home, renters, life, or pet insurance, to get a discount on your premiums. This can help you save money and simplify your needs. See the cheapest rental car insurance companies list.
- B-corporation certification and Giveback program. Lemonade is one of the few insurance companies to receive B-corporation certification. This certification means it meets high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Lemonade also has a Giveback program that donates part of your unused premiums to a charity of your choice at the end of the year. This can make you feel good about supporting a cause you care about while getting insured.
Lemonade car insurance pros and cons: Cons
- Technological surveillance can feel invasive. Lemonade car insurance requires you to download an app and allow it to track your location at all times. As well as access other data from your phone such as contacts, photos, videos, microphone, camera, etc. This can raise some privacy concerns for some users who may not feel comfortable sharing their personal information with an app or a company.
- Pricing is not transparent and relies on personal info. Lemonade car insurance does not provide a clear breakdown of how it calculates your rates or what factors affect them. Instead, it relies on the data collected from your app and other sources to determine your personalized price. This can make it hard to compare prices with other companies or understand how you can lower your premiums.
- The app is the only point of contact with the company. Lemonade Car Insurance has no physical offices or agents you can visit or call for assistance. Instead, it relies on its app and chatbots to handle all aspects of your policy, from getting a quote to filing a claim. This can make getting human help or support complex if you have any questions or issues with your policy or claim.
- Tendency to avoid or ignore customer complaints. Lemonade car insurance has received some negative reviews from customers who claim that the company is unresponsive, unprofessional, or unfair when dealing with their claims or complaints. Some customers also report that the company has canceled their policies without warning or explanation, or increased their rates significantly without justification.
- Only available in five states currently. Lemonade car insurance is currently available only in Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas. It does not offer coverage in any other states or territories in the U.S., which limits its availability and accessibility for many potential customers who may be interested in its services.
Lemonade car insurance reviews
Positive Lemonade car insurance reviews
- The affordability, strength, and ease of use of Lemonade make it hands down the best cheap car insurance company on the market. Once they have auto insurance in my market, I will be on board with that policy as well. My Home Owner’s policy coupled with my Pet policy is the best insurance policy I ever purchased.
- This insurance is very good and easy to use, and everything that can be automated is automated (for the good). Stuff is very friendly and they are quite fast. I can only recommend this company.
- I am EXCITED to have insurance!! (Like, who can say that?!?!) Every once in a while I encounter something that exemplifies just how GOOD a quality product can make a user FEEL. Lemonade Inc. is just one such product.
- I had just joined the “Lemonade” family and can’t tell you all how elated as well fortunate I am to be part of the wonderful experience! – What a truly caring and amazing team, too!
- Not going to lie… Lemonade car insurance is a model example of how easy every company should make it to buy their products.
- My experience is actually nice. The app is nice, and very introvert-friendly. I don’t talk on the phone to multiple people to submit a question or claim.
- Lemonade renters policy is amazing. Cannot wait til I can switch to car insurance through them as well. Best renters insurance.
- Always disappointed in how much insurance will fight against customers in a claim. Just had my first good experience with filing. Unbelievably quick and solid customer experience with lemonade auto insurance.
Lemonade car insurance negative reviews
- Not at fault accident on the 25th of October 2022. Lemonade is the worst company to deal with! Today 19th June 2023 my insurance has lapsed, and I will never go with the current broker and underwriters because of lemonade. Took them three months, on 25th January 2023 to get the money for my car from the other party as it was off. There is a large amount outstanding on the claim, been eight months and they can’t get the outstanding amount! the told if I was not happy to start my own legal case! You are supposed to deal with it and want me to start my own legal case. Despicable and disgusting customer service! Incompetent, doesn’t keep me updated, and has to chase consistently AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!
- Worst company ever. I was claiming under a fault claim. They made mistake after mistake and my car was left with substandard repairs. It took them months to get back to me and the end result was that my car wasn’t fixed properly, then they closed the case. Terrible company.
- Ok. I have renter’s insurance with Lemonade, and so far so good. But I decided to get a quote for auto insurance. I went through all the hoops, gathered all the paperwork they wanted, and got a quote. Mind you a policy was NOT in effect yet. They gave me a quote for 6 months – at no time did they say “pay now”, “must pay in full now” etc. Nothing. I found in my bank, that they took out $415 from our card on file, AND NO POLICY EVEN EXISTED YET. Now my bank is in the red. Ugh.
- I had my car broken into. This is why you get insurance. Even though I had a police report, I went through hell to prove what items were stolen and ended up with compensation of only 25% of what was stolen since I could not provide proof that I left my glasses and other items in the car. After almost a month, I just gave up and settled for the 25%. Very disappointed!
Lemonade car Insurance negative reviews part 2
- Don’t buy this auto insurance!! Their app constantly disconnects/disables our location permissions, causing us a huge amount of aggravation! Of course, they blame us, the policyholders, for this recurring problem, which happens every 2-3 months, sometimes more often. They send us emails that we are location disabled when we ARE location enabled — they then send messages threatening to charge (reverse) our discounts (due to their own errors)!! WHAT? We did NOTHING to change our location settings, and immediately correct THEIR problems, by constantly checking our location permissions, but they have the right to take our money anyhow? NO. Then, they claim that whenever WiFi goes out or there is a power outage, the locations are disabled — but that is a lie, because we have tested their theory, and this does not happen … and also doesn’t happen with both policyholders when they are sitting side by side, which proves that Lemonade’s theory is wrong. No, the problem is on THEIR END. We are SO sick of getting weekly or sometimes daily notifications from MAYA that we are offline, and then clicking and her telling us (in the SAME message) “You’re all set” and then being forced to click “AWESOME” 🙁
- I just filed a claim with them. This is my first insurance claim so I don’t have anything for comparison. The 11th day after, Payment was sent to the body shop. The body shop confirmed the next day that they received payment and would order the parts. Right now, I’m just waiting for the intake date. Tbh, I understand why other people are iffy about the constant GPS, but I’m no Jason Bourne so I didn’t really mind it. All they’ll see is just my constant work and Chick-fil-A trips. I was actually considering changing insurance because of the bad online rep that they’ve had.