Erie home insurance is a type of property insurance that covers your home and personal belongings from damage or loss caused by natural disasters, theft, vandalism, fire, and other perils. They also provide liability coverage if someone gets injured on your property or sues you for damages.
Erie home insurance is one of the cheapest and highest-rated home insurance companies in the U.S., according to ConsumerAffairs and Policygenius. They offer a range of coverage options and discounts that can help you save money and protect your home better.
Erie Home Insurance offers a base policy that provides more comprehensive coverage than many other companies(1). The base policy includes:
- Dwelling coverage: This covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home after a covered loss, such as fire, wind, hail, or water damage.
- Personal property coverage: This covers the cost of replacing your personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, electronics, or appliances, after a covered loss.
- Liability coverage: This covers the legal expenses and damages if you are sued for injuring someone or damaging their property.
- Medical payments coverage: This covers the medical bills of someone who gets injured on your property, regardless of who is at fault.
- Additional living expenses coverage: This covers the extra costs of living elsewhere, such as hotel bills or food expenses, if your home is uninhabitable due to a covered loss.
Erie home insurance optional coverages
In addition to the base policy, Erie home insurance also offers optional coverages that you can add to your policy for extra protection. Some of the optional coverages are:
- Guaranteed replacement cost coverage: This covers the full cost of rebuilding your home after a covered loss, regardless of the policy limit or depreciation. This means you will not have to pay anything out of pocket if your home is destroyed.
- Personal articles policy: This covers the loss or damage of your valuable items, such as jewelry, art, or collectibles. You can choose the amount and type of coverage for each item.
- Identity theft recovery coverage: This covers the expenses related to restoring your identity if it is stolen or compromised. This includes legal fees, credit reports, lost wages, and more.
- Service line protection: This covers the repair or replacement of damaged underground service lines, such as water, sewer, gas, or electric lines. This can save you thousands of dollars in case of a leak or break.
- Water backup and sump overflow coverage: This covers the damage caused by water backing up from drains or sewers or overflowing from sump pumps. This can protect you from costly water damage and mold issues.
|Bundle||Service Line Coverage||Equipment Breakdown Coverage||Average Premium|
|Advantage||Not included||Not included||$1,000|
|Plus||Up to $10,000||Not included||$1,200|
|Select||Up to $10,000||Up to $50,000||$1,400|
Erie home insurance offers various discounts that can lower your premium and make your policy more affordable. Some of the discounts are:
- Multi-policy discount: This applies if you bundle your home and auto insurance with Erie. You can save up to 25% on your premium depending on your state.
- Safety device discount: This applies if you have smoke detectors, fire alarms, sprinkler systems, or security systems in your home. You can save up to 5% on your premium depending on your state.
- Advance quote discount: This applies if you get a quote from Erie at least seven days before your policy effective date. You can save up to 5% on your premium depending on your state.
- Claims-free discount: This applies if you have no claims or few claims in the past. You can save up to 20% on your premium depending on your state.
Erie Home Insurance has a high customer satisfaction rating and a low complaint ratio compared to other home-owner insurance companies. According to J.D. Power’s 2023 U.S. Home Insurance Study1, Erie scored 839 out of 1,000 points in customer satisfaction, ranking second among 23 companies. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Erie had a complaint ratio of 0.20 in 20232, which is much lower than the national average of 1.00.
Here are some customer testimonials from ConsumerAffairs and Policygenius:
- “I have had Erie for over 20 years for both auto and homeowners insurance. They have always been fair with me when I had claims and their rates are very reasonable.” – Robert from Pennsylvania
- “Erie has been great to work with. They have always been responsive and helpful when I had questions or needed to file a claim. Their rates are competitive and their coverage is comprehensive.” – Jennifer from Ohio
- “Erie is the best home insurance company I have ever dealt with. They are easy to reach, friendly, and professional. They handled my claim quickly and efficiently. I highly recommend them.” – David from Virginia